- Decide on a mark to identify a product or service. For example, some of the well-known trademark names today include Microsoft® for software, Kodak® for film, and Rolex® for watches.
- Complete the online Trademark Application Form to initiate the trademark process.
- After receiving your completed online application, we conduct a search, review your application for accuracy, and prepare your application documents.
- In less than three business days, we will send you via FedEx the prepared trademark application documents for your required signature and final approval.
- Sign and submit the prepared documents along with the required $375.00 USPTO application fee to the USPTO office.
- Once the USPTO receives your trademark application, they will send you a receipt and assign the application a Serial number.
- About three to six months after filing date, an examining trademark attorney will review your application and decide whether to grant you the mark, or request additional information from the applicant. The examining attorney may request more information to clarify certain parts of the mark and/or description language. If the examining attorney has questions, objections or recommended changes then you will receive an Office Action letter. The applicant must respond to any objections within six months of the mailing date of the letter or the application will be abandoned.
- If there are no objections, then the examining attorney will approve the mark. If your application is based on intent to use, you will need to submit a formal statement that you have begun to use the mark in commerce before an official certificate will be issued.
- The mark will then be published in the Official Gazette to allow anyone to oppose your mark if he or she believes that they will be damaged by the mark registration. If no opposition if filed within the time specified by Section 13(a) of the Statue or by rules 2.101 or 1.102 of the Trademark Rules, the Commissioner of the Patents and Trademarks will issue a Certificate of Registration.
- Upon receiving a certificate of registration, you can begin to use the cherished ® federal trademark symbol on your mark.